A New Hope

Category: , , By Robb
OK, so when I sat down I wasn't thinking of Star Wars. But when I wrote out the title, who wouldn't go with this association? It seems a lot of things, disparate and unconnected, point to the theme of Hope. Conversations I have had with friends and family seem to work around this theme for the last several weeks. And though I wasn't thinking about it, sometimes that hope seems as foolish and unadvised as the bands of rebels the empire was seeking out to wipe out in that movie of beautiful archetypes (See Joseph Campbell). Another way to put it is "Nothing is impossible with God." The context of that quote is astonishing (See KEA's post on Mary).

But really brought me to the keyboard this fine morning is something else. The above paragraph is only the rambling of word association from writing in the title. No, what has really got me thinking about hope in the last few days is u2 and my Mom. I am currently listening to Joshua Tree and the sweeping exultation of how streets have no name breaks out from the organ stuff at the beginning is really a great musical prelude to the lyrical inspiration of the song and of the whole album, really. And what is beautiful is that it is a hope that is knowledgeable about the pain of this world, that is experienced in what is going on in the world, in the lives of people, yet untainted, undiminished. and 20 years after its arrival, the band continues to be a lampstand of hope, even having seen so much more of the hurts of life, of this world. And it is a hope in grand things, in a new heaven and a new earth. It is about taking up the causes of those who have gone before, of those who do not have a voice, and calling out for justice, for righteousness. The hope that drives u2 is a hope unfulfilled, still searching, still pushing. While recognizing the reality of how things are, it casts a vision of how things ought to be, , and in so doing gives a glimpse of how things will be.

A conversation with my Mom this week reminded me of that hope this week. My mom, whose wisdom is disputed only by her, shared with me about being patient in times of (inner) conflict and indecision. She talked to me about the need to sing a new song, and I talked to her about an old song sung by an old but hopeful rock band.




If you hadn't guessed, I just figured out in the last few posts how to use the "link" button. So this is a little overboard, but really, y'all are all thinking what songs you'd put into the linked words I used. I recognize anyone with any familiarity with the band is already acquainted with the theme of hope and reality the band brings to the table. These are just my thought right now.
 

3 comments so far.

  1. ndfugate 11:24 AM
    does hope end? is it ever realized?

    concerning your article on Joseph Campbell you really need to read Wathership Down, if you have not already, as he had an storng influence on Richard Adams also.

    now i question the understanding that the body is hardware and that language and culture are the software and that there is a universla operating system in all human beings that causes us to catergorize and interpret. i think that there is a little more to language than that. in fact i may argue that the universal operating system need be replaced with language in that we are presented with categories already embedded in language. thus the archtypes that seem so fundamental and universal may not always be the case. certainly, language is influenced and changed by culture and the over-arching myths, but it may be language that creates the meta-narrative in the first place
  2. Peter Zefo 1:16 PM
    Beware Bono Fatigue...

    "http://www.bonofatigue.com/"
  3. K E Alexander 6:37 PM
    Very nicely done. Quite impressive. And in spite of the reality of bonofatigue for some...I'm intrigued by anyone who has a prophetic gift (like Bono) and really "sees" but still brings hope. Not everyone can do that. I need that message. James Cone talks about the Dream (MLK) and the Nightmare (Malcom X), the spirituals and the blues. We have to sing both songs. I just get the order mixed up sometimes. Bono probably does to....we just get to hear the final product on CDs (I actually have vinyl of "The Joshua Tree"!)

Something to say?