An afternoon stroll

By Robb




The girls and I have for several weeks now enjoyed evening walks at Warner Park here in Nashville. Since Kim has been gone this week, it has been especially important for the dogs to get some exercise since I am at work all day. These walks have turned out to be very nice, quiet times of solitude and reflection. Today was a bit different...

As we got out of our car, me and Layla and Lili approached one of our favorite trails. A car parked a few spots down was also disembarking, and the gentleman letting out a golden retriever looked oddly familiar. I thought to myself, this guy looks a bit like Phil Keaggy. Our dogs began introductions with each other as he neared, so I said "hello, I'm Robb." He said "hello, my name is Phil." I then said, "I thought so" and went on a bit gushing. I took Kim to see Phil Keaggy on our first date. His music has been a fresh perspective to a lot of spiritual issues I have dealt with. And he is right here putting a backpack on in preparation for a walk in the park!

Well, after introductions and pleasantries, we both started off on our walks, which turned out to be the same direction. I inquired if that was alright, wanting to respect his privacy, but he was cheerfully insistent that it was quite alright. He was even the one who carried the conversation a large part of the time as we walked the entire trail together.

We talked about everything, from his kids, to the large number of songs that originated as he walked the trail we were on, to the fact that the dog he was walking is not even his, but his next door neighbors' who is out of town, to living in Nashville as an artist. We talked about the Lord, and the course of life as we get to know Him. We talked about wives and family. It was so wonderful to have a real conversation with him. We talked about all the people he has played with and how much music he has been apart of. Toward the end of our walk his cell phone rang. "Hello Randy" he said very loudly, as there was evidently poor reception. I instantly thought Randy Stonehill, but then decided such coincidences were way too unbelievable, like a bad novel or something where everything happens at once. Well, the call was dropped, and he looked over at me and held up his phone and said, "Randy Stonehill. You know him?" When I blubbered out yes, he attempted to call him back. He put the phone on speaker and said "I'm walking with a pal, Robb. Say hello to Robb." They are working on a project together and were working out some details. Randy was calling from Illinois I think. Somewhere on tour driving through the night to Minneapolis.

It was such a blessing. What a magical thing to be dropped into the middle of my week. I am very grateful for how gracious Phil was to share his time with me, to walk a bit with me.
 

2 comments so far.

  1. K E Alexander 10:49 PM
    So this is what it takes to get you to post again! A walk with Phil Keaggy!!

    What a gift! I am sooo happy for you! What a wonderful conversation. And you are a great conversationalist, by the way.

    So, how much PK music have you listened to this evening??
  2. Hope Butcher 8:07 PM
    That is amazing! I'm so excited for you! Also, the comment about a bad novel and everything happening at once was a great description. Randy Stonehill too? So strange. I had "Barbie Nation" stuck in my head just the other day.

Something to say?