Adversity

What a melodramatic title. Truth be told I am not dealing with any at athe moment, but I just put a friend on a a plane who is dealing with a load of it.

People interpret adversity in many ways. Some believe it is part of the natural state of things in the fallen world. There are just things to deal with. Others see adversity as something to overcome, a test to pass, a victory to achieve. Still others see it as the chastening of the Lord, thus to be avoided or steered clear from.

I imagine the only wrong answer is that only one of these is right. If I eat some ethnic foods, adversity will soon follow of a certain type. That I would imagine be part of the natural state, and not a test or the correction of the Lord. But the Bible also speaks of two kingdoms who war against one another, thus adversity is to be expected on such a level. I would imagine adversity too is God's instructing for certain situations.

Would Jesus have endured Gethsemene if it was interpreted as chastening. It would seem that he would have changed course if the path he was one reflected a need to change. The adversity of that week had another purpose. I would imagine some things are worth the price, and for others the price is too high to pay. Adversity calls for us to reflect constantly on who we are to be and where we are going- weighing the cost.
 

3 comments so far.

  1. Hope Butcher 9:15 AM
    To comment back on the "Miracle Drug" conversation: I think Bono went through a period where he felt things were hopeless but somewhere along the way he was inspired again. I agree with you that its hard to imagine having hope when you know what he knows. Let's face it, I don't even have much hope about it and all I see are pictures and hear stories second, third, sometimes tenth-hand. I'm trying to be more positive but its hard to feel like progress is being made. God has recently inspired me again and showed me small pictures of where I'm getting through to someone and lucky for the students at church, I'm using that as my platform these days. And of course, there's my son and what a fresh start to hope that is!
  2. m.d. mcmullin 3:40 PM
    It is hard for thee to kick against the pricks
  3. K E Alexander 1:21 AM
    Hard as it is, it has inspired some great art, poetry, music. Of course, one thinks of the Blues and Country Music (and being from TN we have to!). Handel's "Messiah" was wrought in a time of spiritual warfare. It birthed the Reformation and the Aldersgate experience, which gave rise to the Wesleyan Revival and of course...us! And this week...I can't help but think about police dogs attacking little black girls, freedom riders being beaten in the head when they exited the bus and MLK being assassinated. But, as King would, say, some suffering is redemptive suffering. As Mahalia would sing, "My soul looks back and wonders, How'd I make it over?"

Something to say?